You are welcome to the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kaduna State University. The Faculty was established in 2012 to run the unclassified B. Pharm Degree programme in line with the Benchmark Minimum Academic Standard (BMAS) of the National Universities Commission (NUC) and directives of the Pharmacists Council of Nigeria (PCN). Teaching of the B. Pharm. Students begun in the Faculty, on the 28th day of January, 2013. The Faculty consists of six (6) Departments that are mutually exclusive, but with a common aim of training professionals (Pharmacists) with adequate knowledge and skills for effective pharmaceutical services; which include giving information about medicines, drug therapy and disease management to patients, doctors, and other health professionals as well as involved in the development and manufacture of medicines. The Faculty is currently enjoying full accreditation of the National Universities Commission.
The six (6) Departments in the Faculty include:
- Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Department of Pharmaceutics and Industrial Pharmacy
- Department of Pharmaceutical Microbiology and Biotechnology
- Department of Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Chemistry
- Department of Pharmacognosy and Drug Development
- Department of Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacy Management
To develop a world class environment for the training of knowledgeable and highly skilled Pharmacists and pharmaceutical Scientists to meet the needs of humanity.
To produce highly trained and skilled Pharmacists and pharmaceutical Scientists for the improvement of healthcare delivery through teaching, learning, research and community service.
The main objectives of the Faculty are to:
- Instil a sense of appreciation of the Pharmacy profession and to involve them in an intellectually stimulating and satisfying experience of learning and study
- Instil the dynamic value of the Pharmacy profession, which makes lifelong learning a necessity.
- Develop the ability to apply pharmaceutical knowledge in Health Care Delivery System.
- Provide a broad and balanced foundation in all areas of pharmaceutical knowledge
- Provide pharmaceutical knowledge and professional skills to identify and solve drug related problems (both human and veterinary).
- Provide adequate knowledge and appropriate skills from which students can proceed for further studies in specialized areas of Pharmacy.
ABOUT THE DEAN OF FACULTY
Professor B. A. Chindo is the current Dean of the Faculty. A Pharmacist by profession and Neuropharmacologist, Professor Chindo attended the Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, where he graduated with a Bachelor of Pharmacy (B. Pharm) degree in 1990. He went back to the Ahmadu Bello University and graduated with an MSc and a PhD Pharmacology in 1999 and 2006, respectively.
Professor Chindo had a post-doctoral training to refine his research techniques in molecular neuroscience at the Otago School of Medical Sciences, University of Otago, New Zealand (2006 to 2007). The research training was funded by the prestigious International Brain Research Organization (IBRO). He was at the University of the Pacific, Stockton, California, USA on a one year sabbatical leave (2009 to 2010) sponsored by the John Hopkins’ University Centre for Alternative to Animal Testing (CAAT) fellowship. The research programme in California involved designing, conducting and analyzing electrophysiological properties of neurons derived from human Stem cells for drug development.
The visiting Professor at the Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Otto-von-Guerick University, Germany, was appointed Professor of Pharmacology in Kaduna State University in 2012, and delivered the 2nd Professorial Inaugural Lecture of the Kaduna State University titled Herbal Medicine: Panaceas or Agent of Destruction; on Wednesday 7th March 2018.
He has published sixty (60) scientific articles in high impact factor peer reviewed journals and delivered well over 45 papers at numerous local and international Conferences and Seminars in different parts of USA, Europe, Australia, Singapore, Kenya, Ethiopia, Ghana, etc.
It is on record and to his credit that he has successfully supervised 3 completed PhD dissertations and 8 completed MSc research Thesis.
Professor Chindo’s Research Skills:
- In vivo animal models of neurological and psychiatric disorders.
- In vivo animal models of behavior.
- In vivo Toxicity studies in animals
- Cell culture techniques
- Grow neuronal cell cultures from rat embryos
- Culture and differentiate pluripotent stem cell line into neurons.
- Culture of human embryonic kidney (HEK) cell and transfection of neuronal receptor subunits clones (DNAs).
- Patch-clamping electrophysiology
- Preparation of brain slices from neonatal rats and extracellular recording techniques from brain slices
Professor Chindo is an ad hoc Reviewer in the following Peer Reviewed Journals:
- Journal of Phytomedicine and Therapeutics
- Pharmaceutical Biology
- Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry.
- International Journal of Green Pharmacy
- Phytotherapy Research
- Journal of Medicinal Plants Research
- African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology
- Metabolic Brain Disease
- Nigerian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Neurochemistry International
- European Journal of Integrative Medicine
- Journal of Basic and Clinical Physiology and Pharmacology
He is a member of the following professional bodies:
- Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria (PSN)
- Nigerian Association of Pharmacists in Academia (NAPA)
- Nigerian Society for Neuroscientists (NSN)
- West African Society for Pharmacology (WASP)
- African Society of Toxicological Sciences (ASTS)
- Society of Neuroscientists in Africa (SONA)
- International Society for Neurochemistry (ISN),
- International Brain Research Organization (IBRO)
- American Society for Neuroscience (SFN).